Mental health first Aid Awareness
Online or In-Person
Group Booking Only
Request for a quote
Pay by a card or request an invoice (no card needed)
Get AN instant Quote
Do you want to train more than 4 people? Request a quote
Share This Course
MENTAL HEALTH FIRST Awareness COURSE
All you need to know about Mental Health First Aid
DIFFERENT TYPES OF MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID COURSES. HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT ONE?
Mental Health First Aid is not unlike physical first aid: help offered for someone suffering from ill health, in this case mental ill health. MHFA courses will also teach you to spot earlier signs and symptoms of common mental health problems, such as anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, etc. With the knowledge and tools learned in the course, individuals will be able to to deliver mental health first aid before professional medical treatment is available. The aims of mental health first aid are to:
- Preserve life
- Prevent further harm
- Promote recovery
- Provide comfort to the person who suffers
Please note that as a qualified Mental Health First Aider, or someone who has undertaken a Mental Health First Aid course, you will not be able to diagnose or treat, but you can identify symptoms of anxiety, depression, eating disorders, amongst other challenges, and encourage someone to seek professional help. These courses do not teach you to be a counsellor or therapist, but will empower you to react and signpost when someone in mental distress may need professional help.
This half-day course is 4 hours in duration and raises awareness around Mental Health.
Mental Health Aware Half Day course – This half day MHFA training is a basic introduction to mental health, and why it is important. It introduces some common mental health challenges and discusses how to spot them. During this four hour course you will learn how to talk to someone who may be experiencing mental ill health, and feel more confident speaking about mental health with colleagues, friends or family. The course also will also equip you with some tools to look after your own mental health.The Mental Health Awareness Training includes such topics as Stigma, Depression, Anxiety Disorders etc.
All our MHFA Training Courses are delivered by MHFA England certified trainers. You will receive an MHFA England certificate
We will try to explain it in a very simple way.
The MHFA England is an accredited body that trains trainers. Then various companies hire the trainers and deliver the courses. Most likely you will get a very similar training and outcome whichever company you choose – we all use the same Online Learning Hub (a platform to deliver online courses) provided by the MHFA England.
The same trainers (a trainer might work one week for us, next week for another company). We carefully choose instructors who are providing Siren MHFA training courses. Most of the trainers have psychology/psychotherapy backgrounds. We thoroughly read our clients’ feedback, this way we were able to choose the best of the best trainers who work with us for years. We can proudly say that Siren is a leading provider of MHFA training. If you are not convinced simply check our reviews
All attendees receive MHFA England materials (manual and workbook, we deliver it to the attendee’s home). You will get the same outcome whichever company you choose because we all follow MHFA England’s guidelines.
We are all human beings before we are workers, and all of us have both physical and mental health. We know what can cause physical illness but we are not always aware of the reasons behind ill mental health. And when we see someone suffering mental health ill very often we don’t have right words or right actions to take, especially, in the workplace. It is very important that all staff are aware of how to take care of their own mental health, as well as know how to support each other.
Positive mental health in the workplace not only helps your business goals, but also improves employee satisfaction and retention. Any mental health first aid courses can improve wellbeing in the workplace. We highly recommend anyone interested in becoming a Mental Health First Aider attend the two day course, and implementing the one or half day course for all of the employees in the organisation. The course will raise mental health awareness, start conversations in your workplace and teach employees to support each other. Additionally, the course will help you create an action plan for a positive climate in the workplace.
Recovering from mental ill health can vary amongst individuals, as does length of recovery. While some individuals respond quickly to treatment and recover quickly, recovery can often be episodic for others. Still others have a longer recovery journey which can involve medication, self-help, attending therapy. It is important for workplaces to support employees in their recovery, and the Mental Health First Aid courses are a great starting point to understand how to create inclusive environments for people in recovery.
We recommend having as many mental health first aiders in the workplace as you have physical first aiders.
Mental health first aid course is particularly recommended for line managers and their teams for several reasons:
- You will be able to create a healthier environment in your workplace for your team.
- To spot an employee suffering from mental health issue and support them at work
- And prevent further mental health illness development
- Finally, you will be able to maintain your own mental health and wellbeing.
A mental health course is not a legal requirement yet. It is strongly recommended to have as many mental health first aiders as physical ones. the Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) recent recommendation to include ‘mental health trained first aiders’ as part of employers’ first aid needs assessments.
All courses come with course materials a manual and a workbook. The books are helpful resources to refresh your knowledge as well as support your own mental health, both during and after the course. Books are included in the course price.
The prices below are for our public courses. If you want to book a group please send us a short enquiry and we get back to you in minutes. A group booking is up to 30% off per person.
|Course length||Cost PP||Max. people per group|
|Half Day Course||£80+vat||25 people|
|One Day Course||£160+vat||16 people|
|Two Day Course||£240+vat||16 people|
Mental Health First aid is important for several core reasons.
- Ill mental health is very common. Research indicates that one in four people suffers from anxiety, panic or depression. It is very likely that someone in your immediate environment, whether in the workplace, home or neighborhood has or will experience ill mental health. Feeling equipped to help a family member or friend who may need it is a valuable tool.
- Mental health is still stigmatised in our society. Stigma negatively affects those who experience ill mental health and can delay recovery. When people feel ashamed to speak about their problems with others, they might not get the help they need. By beginning to have conversations about mental health with our friends and family and in our workplaces, we can start to decrease stigma and promote positive, safe environments for anyone to discuss their mental health. Additionally, speaking up about our mental health encourages others to do the same, and can normalise mental health. Mental health and physical health should be considered equally important, as they are both integral parts of personal and public wellbeing.
- Many of us are misinformed about mental health. For example, a very common myth about mental health is that those with mental issues are dangerous for society. By raising awareness of mental health, we can debunk discriminatory and harmful myths, help people take care of their own wellbeing as well as help others.
- Parity of esteem. In many respects, a mental health illnesses is similar to a physical ailment- The longer diagnosis and treatment are delayed the higher the risk for longer term consequences. Just like we know that eating healthy foods helps our physical abilities, healthy mental habits can be equally as important to mental health. Likewise, the sooner a problem is spotted, the quicker the recovery.
- In emergency situations, we can often feel that we don’t know how to advise, or act. A MHFA courses teaches participants an action plan to use in case of emergencies. This plan is easy to remember and effective in taking steps to help someone who may need it while making the environment safe for everyone involved.
It’s relatively easy to see the gaps we’ve been missing as a society, all generally aware of physical health. As such, it is good common sense to go to the doctor if you feel ill.
But where do you turn when you experience mental ill-health?
The most common answer is unfortunately not many places. Mental distress and mental ill-health are still steeped in stigma and discrimination, preventing people from getting the help they need. Achieving parity of esteem of physical and mental health is a fundamental step to creating a healthy, well-equipped society of workers and citizens. The current gaps here are clear, as we all have mental health as well as physical health. Why isn’t mental health equally as important as physical health? This is the question our society must respond to and a gap that MHFA training courses can address.
Are you interested in participating in a first aid course? You should contact Siren Training today. We are a dedicated training company that was set up by a group of Firefighters in 2013. Our team have a wealth of knowledge and experience in First Aid and Fire Safety and deliver interesting, enjoyable, lifesaving skills to all sectors. We believe first aid is a very important subject and basic first aid needs to be common knowledge among employees within a workplace. This is why we are incredibly devoted to providing the very best first aid course in we can.
The first aid course we carry out is always delivered by professionals, who all share the same passion and drive to share their valuable skills with everyone. Our team operate across the UK and Ireland and have a team of over 70 instructors with various backgrounds including: Paramedics, NHS and the Armed Forces. During your first aid course, you will be taught by expert Emergency service trainers who the best hands on experience in first aid, so you know you are being taught by true experts who have the best practical knowledge. The instructors we employ at Siren Training are all highly qualified and experienced who will make it easy for you to learn your new skills in an interesting and exciting learning environment.
During your first aid course you will learn the skills and confidence to act in an emergency. Thanks to our first aid course you will feel more prepared if you ever find yourself in a situation that requires immediate first aid. You will leave equipped with the knowledge and skills to administer a wide variety of first aid techniques in the workplace with confidence. Whether this is treating minor wounds, or saving the life of a colleague – you will know how to handle it safely and effectively, becoming an asset to your company.
The most basic first aid course we offer is the 1 Day Emergency First Aid at Work course.This first aid course helps you meet the requirements set out in the Health and Safety regulations of 1981. As this is the most basic first aid course, it means it is the perfect introduction to first aid. This first aid course is aimed towards individuals who work within a “low risk”/office based environment. If the attendees pass the 20 question multiple choice exam, they will be awarded a HSE recognised certificate which is valid for 3 years.
website. Fill in all the relevant information and one of our team will get back to you as soon as possible to discuss our first aid course.